Sunday, July 31, 2016

On my reading pile

I will be rushing to complete these books but I need to try to read as many as I can before Thursday which is our annual library donate-a-book day.

I am listing this as the first in my pile but it will be the last one I read because the setting is very similar to The war that saved my life.  I find I need to mix my reading to make it easier to recall a plot line.

I have selected Close to the wind because it was the title explored at my local bookshop discussion group.

Here is part of the blurb :
"In a war-torn country a town is burning.  The last ship to leave has a few places left, but it you don't have the money, or know the right people, you won't get a ticket."

First off this book has 381 pages so I may only be able to read a few chapters before my deadline but Peter Nimble and his fantastic eyes does sound excellent.  Kirkus use words like Dickensian and Tolkienesque.

The blurb says :
" ... the utterly beguiling tale of a ten-year-old blind orphan who has been schooled in a life of thievery. One fateful afternoon he steals a box from a mysterious traveling haberdasher - a box that contains three pairs of magical eyes."



A new Australian title by comedian Alan Brough.

The opening lines of Charlie and the war against the Grannies are very promising :

"Seventeen grannies were hurt (just a little bit) during the making of this book."

The first chapter :
The Truth - "I didn't want Mrs Cyclopolos to explode.  I just wanted a paper round."

The Friendship Riddle was sent to use by Kate Colley from Bloomin' books so I know it will be a winner.   With over 350 pages I may only be able to dip in before Thursday.

Here is part of the blurb :
"If there is one thing Ruth Mudd-O'Flaherty can't resist, it's a quest.  So when she finds a riddle hidden in an old library book, she gladly accepts the mission. "

I have often thought it would be fun to hide messages inside library books!

I have started The Green Bicycle and so far it is excellent.  I am sure this will prove to be a powerful and important story.

Here is part of the blurb :
"Wadjda has one simple wish - to ride her very own bicycle in a race with her friend Abdullah, But in Saudi Arabia it is considered improper for girls to ride bikes, and her parents forbid her from having one. Sick of playing by the rules, Wadjda invents different schemes to make money to buy the bike herself. But freedom comes at a high price."

No comments: