Saturday, November 5, 2016

Clair de Lune by Cassandra Golds



Sorry to have to say this again but this treasure is out of print!  A couple of weeks ago a mum called into our library with her daughter.  Clair de Lune was selected by the child and I mentioned to the mum that I had loved this book.  I recommended she might read it.  Sadly I do not know if the mum took my advice but when Clair de Lune returned I noticed our copy is really worn out.  The paper has gone yellow and the cover is about to fall off.  I felt sad that I had recommended a book in such bad shape and then I worried that I had been too hasty.  I read this book 12 years ago.  Perhaps it was not really special.

I bought our worn copy home,  set about finding a second hand copy (more about that in a moment) and then I sat down to re-read Clair de Lune.  And YES I loved it all over again.

Here is the blurb :

"Clair de Lune has lived all her life with her grandmother at the top of a tall, very narrow, very old building.  Her mother, a great ballerina, died on stage when Clair-de-Lune was a baby.  Ever since that day, Clair-de-Lune has not uttered a word."

I have no connection to ballet but oddly I gasped out loud when I read this interview with Cassandra Golds by The Australia Ballet. Cassandra tells the interviewer that as a child she loved the Lorna Hill books about the Sadler's Wells ballet - me too!  I still think about the way the girls went to little cafes and ordered 'ices'.  They sounded delicious but I still have no idea what they were.

Clair de Lune meets a special mouse called Bonaventure.  He is a dancer too.  He is also astute, compassionate, kind and determined. He introduces Clair de Lune to a reclusive monk and these two unique friends help Clair de Lune find her 'voice'.  You can read more of the plot here.

You might also enjoy The Tale of Despereaux, Ballet shoes by Noel Streatfeild and  Secret letters from 0 to 10,   Take a minute to read my review of another book by Cassandra Golds  The three loves of Persimmon.

Finally back to the adventure of buying a second hand copy of this book.  Cassandra Golds is an Australian author but I have located a copy in Indiana.  The book is on its way and I know this because it wrote me a letter :

"Holy canasta! It's me... it's me! I can't believe it is actually me! You could have picked any of over 2 million books but you picked me! I've got to get packed! How is the weather where you live? Will I need a dust jacket? I can't believe I'm leaving Mishawaka, Indiana already - the friendly people, the Hummer plant, the Linebacker Lounge - so many memories. I don't have much time to say goodbye to everyone, but it's time to see the world!
I can't wait to meet you! You sound like such a well read person. Although, I have to say, it sure has taken you a while! I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but how would you like to spend five months sandwiched between Jane Eyre (drama queen) and Fundamentals of Thermodynamics (pyromaniac)? At least Jane was an upgrade from that stupid book on brewing beer. How many times did the ol' brewmaster have one too many and topple off our shelf at 2am?
I know the trip to meet you will be long and fraught with peril, but after the close calls I've had, I'm ready for anything (besides, some of my best friends are suspense novels). Just five months ago, I thought I was a goner. My owner was moving and couldn't take me with her. I was sure I was landfill bait until I ended up in a Better World Books book drive bin. Thanks to your socially conscious book shopping, I've found a new home. Even better, your book buying dollars are helping kids read from Brazil to Botswana."

No comments: